Saturday, July 16, 2011

Big Day for Zachary

I have to admit I didn't know if it was going to happen. Thursday, when Zachary tried to break a board with his elbow, he didn't do it. I sort of thought he'd resist testing. But when Mrs. Patten talked to him in class on Friday, he said he would be there (though he couldn't come up with ways he'd improved in self discipline). So, we got him to testing, where the place was PACKED and the previous kids were still there. There were no seats, but we did get Mom to bring us soccer chairs. Zachary actually seemed pumped for the day. He was enthusiastic, and he even did well in sparring. When it came time for him to break boards, I was really sweating. He broke with his knee right away, then he missed the elbow. I thought he was done for. THEN, Mr. Patten cracked a joke, gave him some coaching, and let him go. AND HE DID IT! At the rank ceremony, Mr. Patten said how far Zachary has come, and how when he started he would cry at small things, and that he can really handle his emotions now. Zachary stood strong, and meanwhile I cried like a baby. I don't know how I could be more proud of him. He's such a brave boy!


Tim and I haven't had a date night in ages, so we were planning on having the boys spend the night at Mom's while we went out. We were so excited about Zachary's accomplishments (AND it was so late), that we decided we should all go out together. So, we went to Skyline (Zachary's choice) then the boys went back to Mom's. Tim and I rented Black Swan, which was extremely disturbing and maybe not the best way to end the night!

No comments: