Monday, August 20, 2012

Back to Reality

The week after vacation went by in a whirlwind.  We had all day Sunday at home before our vacation was officially over.  To say we were lazy is an understatement.  We had a fun early dinner at The Works (our first time eating in the train!) as our last hurrah.  Tuesday night at karate, Jeremy tested for his kicking combinations tip.  That officially caught him up to Zachary, who had started karate a full year before he did.  Apparently that did not sit well with Zachary.  The next day, while I was off picking up produce from our CSA, Zachary tested for and earned his board breaking tip.  Just like that.  He hasn't broken with some of his breaks since December.  And he did all three.  And I missed it.  I walked into the karate school, and a mom said, "He got it."  I thought, "What in the heck is she talking about?"  It never dawned on me that he would test.  Friday, he asked to test for his knowledge tip.  Mrs. Broyles wasn't sure he should be testing for his black belt after coming off of a long vacation, but once she saw his form, she was convinced he was ready.  I've never seen him look so motivated.  So, Saturday he tested for his black belt.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I felt like I had pretty much learned that when he wants to do it, he can do it.  I was still worried.  The kids ate a big, late breakfast.  I took them for haircuts and to buy camera batteries.  I took them home and left for the karate school a full hour before testing was scheduled to start.  I just couldn't sit at home anymore.  Mr. Patten was not there for the 2 morning testing sessions.  It felt somehow wrong to me that he would get his black belt without Mr. Patten.  I was so relieved that despite attending a family funeral in the morning he came to the end of Zachary's testing.  He was there for sparring, board breaking, and the ceremony. 

No comments: