Friday, August 3, 2012

Minnesota Vacation Day 22

The last day at the lake is always bittersweet.  The morning dawned overcast and wet.  It worked out, though, because I did the majority of our packing in the morning before things cleared up and we could get outside.  Tim took Jeremy on a fishing trip to the channel.  Unfortunately, they didn't catch anything.  While they were gone, Zachary and Grandma made the scones from the mix Zachary picked out at the Blueberry Festival.  Lydia came over and played Sequence with Zachary, then she helped frost (and taste!) the scones.  By that time, Jeremy was back, so they all decided to swim.  They were trying to catch minnows, but as they had only one net, and there really aren't that many minnows around, they didn't have much success. 

Tim and I swam and did some jumps/dives off the swim platform - a position that also allowed us to keep an eye on what the kids were doing.  It was pretty windy, and we quickly got cold and windblown.  Goober's thing this year was to come down to the lake and watch us swim.  He sometimes sat on the end of one of the docks, but he also loved to jump in the boat and lay on the bench seat.  He didn't like to get in the water at all, but he did love to watch!  He never wandered off, and always came when we called. 

We heard a big commotion with the kids, and it turned out they had captured 2 frogs, the second one valiantly nabbed by Zachary.  (I think they were all reluctant to touch them, so Lydia's mom grabbed the first one.)  I walked over to see the frogs, and I wound up staying to chat with the Knapps.  At one point, I went to check on the kids in the sauna, and I stayed in there with them for a few minutes.  They thought it was funny to dump a big bucket of water on my head!  If it hadn't been 144 degrees in there, that may have been a problem.  By the time we walked to the lake, I was already cooled down, but I jumped in with them anyway.  For some reason, they just thought that was so much fun.  So, we went through the whole thing one more time.  By that time, it was approaching dinnertime, so we said our goodbyes to the Knapps and headed back to the cabin. 

We grilled up some small steaks for dinner.  Dessert was Zachary's AMAZING blueberry scones.  After dinner, Sarah and Doug stopped by with Lydia so that we could all get a photo of the kids together.  Then, it was Zachary's turn for a fishing trip.  He graciously agreed that I could come along (this was a dad and kid thing).  Zachary caught a (very) small walleye, but that was all.  It was actually chilly enough for me to wear a jacket. 

Here are the three pals right before we said goodbye for the year:

When we got back there was a little more packing to do, then a game of penny in the pot.  I was reading a library book on my kindle that was about to be automatically returned.  Luckily, I was able to read past midnight and almost finish the book.  I left it open in the hopes that it would still be available for the car ride the next day!

No comments: