Sunday, March 15, 2009

Orange Belt

So, after just getting his third tip the class before, Zachary announced on Tuesday night that he wanted to test for his orange belt this Saturday. I couldn't believe it. First, I was surprized that he would decide on his own to test, and second, that he thought he was ready. Who can say whether he's really that motivated or if it was just about some serious competition with his friend Allison. At any rate, Tim and I tried to prepare him for the possibility that he might not pass. Mr. Patten is very clear: he doesn't give anything away. The kids have to earn their belts. We needn't have been worried. Zachary did FANTASTIC. He made it through his form and one-steps beautifully. He clearly told the audience his name, that his favorite part about martial arts was "one step number three," and the four ways he's been improving in self discipline. (They included being nicer to his brother, which I wasn't totally sure about, but I didn't call him on it!) Mr. Patten practically had me in tears when he told Zachary how great his work ethic has been and how much he has improved since he started. It seems to me that Zachary has to work just a little harder than most of us just to make it through each day, so I am immensly proud of him. The fact that he even got an extra tip for his high score had me audibly gasping when Mr. Patten annouced it. Again, I'm grateful for those people in Zachary's life who have high expectations.

Photos are at www.keepkicking.com/testphotomarch/yellow/index.htm.

No comments: