Saturday, March 14, 2009

Remembering a Woman of Faith

We lost my Grandma on Monday, March 9. Here she is at 18 and at 92. Unbelievably, the photo below is the only one I could find of both boys with Grandma. It was taken on her 92nd birthday.
My grandma was a women who spent time in prayer and worship. I believe she felt closest to God at "our" lake in Ely, Minnesota. As I child, we would walk together, collecting pinecones and enjoying the world around us. I clearly remember her singing "In the Garden" as she walked the path from the cabin to the boathouse. (The path from the cabin to the outhouse called for a different song - how many of the kids in our family remember this: "With a zoom and boom as they marched through the room of the big tin pan parade. Little feet will retreat as they march through the street of the big tin pan parade. It's Waterloo for Napoleon as they march across the linoleum..." Just long enough to take you from the back door of the cabin to the outhouse. How in the world did that start anyway?) I know we'll all miss the way she held our family together, but how wonderful to know she's at peace.

No comments: