Monday, June 17, 2013

Minnesota Day 02 - We're All Here

Sunday morning arrived before we knew it!  I resisted getting up, but at 8:30 I just had to.  We rushed around trying to get the cabin in some sort of order before Mom and Zach arrived.  I put things away, cleaned the bathroom, cleaned most kitchen surfaces, and washed both refrigerators with bleach water.  I wasn't too grossed out by any of the mess that inevitably occurs over 9 months in an empty cabin EXCEPT for the refrigerator.  Ack!  It was a disgusting mess of mold.  We even managed to vacuum most rooms before we left.

At 11:10, we left for the airport in Hibbing.  I was very ready to see Zach (and my mom)!  The airport is not exactly bustling.  Our GPS actually routed us over a dirt road to get there.  We arrived about 10 minutes before they were scheduled to land, and we were all outside watching, waving like fools at everyone on the plane.  We then went inside, where we met them and Zachary gave his dad a fun Father's Day card.  His souvenir for Jeremy was two barf bags from the plane!

It was time for lunch, so we drove into Virginia where we ate at Grandma's.  Love that place!  I had a delicious dish of Cajun chicken over wild rice.  Tim had spicy sausage pasta, Jeremy had a HUGE bowl of potato soup, and Zach ordered fish and chips!  There were groceries to be bought, so we had to stop again.  Finally, we stopped for fishing licenses and live bait in Tower. 

After arriving at the cabin, the work started again.  We made up beds and unpacked suitcases.  We were all walking around like zombies, exhausted.  Jeremy was itching to go fishing, so Tim took him out in the DINGHY!  I went down to see how they were doing and decided to try out one of the kayaks.  We saw Lydia on the Knapp's dock, so we all paddled over to say hello.  She's here for a week along with a friend.  They had picked up our modem which had been delivered before we got here.  Lydia's mom told me that the 2 girls had come over 3 different times hoping to see the boys!

When we got in from the lake, Mom told me that Zach had fallen asleep fully clothed at around 7:30 PM - not a huge surprise since he had gotten up at 4AM Eastern time, and it felt like 8:30 to him.  We all still hadn't eaten dinner, so I made Tim his requested Father's Day meal of peanut butter and jelly, nacho cheese doritoes, and a strawberry milkshake (made from strawberries and jelly from our garden).  Spoiled Dad!  Jeremy, Mom, and I had cheese sandwiches.  After dinner and cleaning up, we played a round of Hearts, which I lost in a spectacular fashion, as usual.  Finally, I set up the wireless internet.  I was online WAY too late, catching up.

No comments: