Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 2: Getting There is Half the Fun

I slept horribly at the hotel! It was clear I was coming down with something. In singles or pairs, we took turns going to the breakfast bar, where the boys discovered "waffle chips" (waffle overflow that cooks up nice and crispy in the middle of a 4 mini-waffle iron). We didn't leave the hotel until 10 AM local time. I was feeling awful. Mom drove most of the way on day 2. I did drive a couple of hours from just before Superior to Eveleth. We stopped for Subway and ate it at the Laurentian Divide overlook. Even though my throat was really hurting, it tasted delicious, and I think the hot peppers helped numb my throat for a while.

Things looked good when we got to the cabin sometime around 3 or 4 PM, yet there was a surprising amount of work to do. I rallied, and worked most of the afternoon and early evening. We had to collect the d-con (to deter mice from chewing up our mattresses over the winter), vacuum, take down the support beams that keep the roof from collapsing under the snow, wash some necessary dishes, uncover the beds then get out clean sheets and make the beds, get the grill out of the cabin (!), unpack the car, unload the suitcases, wipe everything down, turn on water heater and refrigerator, and more and more. Mom heated some ham for dinner and served it with macaroni and homemade cheese sauce. I was ZONKED when all was said and done. The kids actually helped with unloading, then they spend some time outside throwing rocks in the lake. Zachary and Mom played some Funglish after dinner. Zachary and I went down to the lake where we had a rock tossing contest. The bugs were INSANE.

No comments: