Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 4: Relief

Monday morning, I called the clinic in Ely. They could get me in at 11 AM. I was so fearful that I WOULDN'T have strep and that there would be nothing they could do. Mom and I drove to town (me feeling grouchy and sullen and awful the whole way). We made a quick trip to the liquor store and to Pamida for flowers for the yard. Then, Mom dropped me off at the clinic and went to Zups. I was thrilled that my strep test came back positive. Then, they told me I could get a shot in the bottom or pills. You might think the pills would be a no-brainer, but if I chose that option my recovery would be slower. The shot would have me feeling better by evening. SO, shot in the bottom it was. And I was HAPPY to get it! Since Mom had started feeling kind of yuckky the night before, she went in and talked to the nurse practitioner and got a prescription for oral penicillin.

When I got home I ate some lunch and took a nap. Meanwhile, Tim cleaned gutters. The boys were supposed to help, but I don't think Tim was too pleased with their efforts. Zachary did climb partway up the ladder to bring Tim a bucket. Mom fished off the dock and caught a pretty good sized smallmouth bass, which encouraged the boys to do the same. Jeremy caught a slightly smaller smallmouth, but he was happy. The boys even swam a little. Zachary lasted longer than Jeremy and loves to put his lifejacket on and swim out really far. As I was waking up (after a 2 hour nap), I heard yelling outside. Zachary had been walking to the other dock with his fishing pole, and Goober got Zachary's lure stuck in his ear. Thankfully, it was just one barb and Tim was able to get it out. Goobs bled for a while, but he seemed to be OK.

Monday evening, Tim started feeling really awful. He fell asleep before dinner, and then he slept right through it. Mom had made a yummy beer can chicken and applesauce. After dinner, I took the boys outside to play, and Tim woke up and came out for a few minutes with a small plate of food. He then went right back to bed. Before the kids bedtime, I read the Jamestown My America book to them. I think they kind of got into it. Then, I went out to the kitchen and was really starting to feel good. I wound up cleaning out a kitchen cabinet then watching some Leno with Mom. I even read after I went to bed. I was clearly feeling much better.

No comments: