Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Vacation Day 1

Vacation started today for the boys and I. Tim has one more day of work before he's done for the year. The boys and I slept in in a big way. Mom came by to get Jeremy, and Zachary and I went out to lunch, as promised (for getting ready for school without hassles), at Chipotle. Zachary has recently discovered that he likes their steak tacos. I'm always game for Chipotle, so I was glad he earned that treat. Jeremy and Mom went to Frisch's, then back to her house to hang out, watch TV, and play games. Zachary agreed to help me do grocery shopping, and we decided to try Meijer, since we were nearby and Zachary hadn't been there in a very long time. After a long process of finding everything on our list and an even longer process of self-checkout, we decided we like Kroger a lot better!

After we got Jeremy and went home, we had just a few minutes until it was time to leave for the Nash's caroling party. This is the first year we've been invited. I was surprised both boys wanted to go, and it turns out they had a great time, caroling for Marnie's neighbors (who had been "warned" ahead of time that we were coming), getting treats, and enjoying a small party afterward. They got to hang out with some karate friends and some new friends, too. One of Marnie's neighbors is in Zachary's class, so it was good to have her there too. It was funny to see Zachary sitting at a table hanging out with a bunch of middle school boys and girls. I can't believe how grown up he's getting.

When we got home, we decided to make our peppermint bark (we didn't even start this project until 8:30 or 9:00). Tim arrived home from karate at 10:15 to find us in full candy-making mode - microwave going, sheets of candy bark cooling, stirring, and measuring. We got all 10 pounds of chocolate (with 3 pounds of peppermint inside) done buy 11PM. It was a late night, but I really enjoyed having the family help out with this project. I posted on facebook about it and had several people comment with memories of getting from or making it with me. It was a project I wasn't sure I would undertake this year, but I'm very glad I did!

No comments: