Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Vacation Day 4

Christmas Eve! We slept in again and had a lazy morning. Then, the frenzy began. We packed up gifts, made a veggie tray, and got ourselves together to go to Mom's. Mike and the girls were at the Bengal's game, but Louise was there with us. We exchanged our gifts with Mom, and Louise gave Tim and I our gifts. I was happily surprised with big bath towels and a new queen sized blanket - both things I really wanted. Mom had made a nice spread of treats and "fancy" sandwiches (just lunchmeat and cheese on small buns). Jeremy determined that they were fancy because they were small enough to try more than one. She also had fruit, veggies, her famous cheese spread, cookies, and other snacky thing. My mom does know how to lay out a nice lunch spread. I wish I had that same talent.

After Mom's, we stopped at our house to let the dogs out then headed over to church. Mom and Louise were waiting for us there. The service was praise band/contemporary, but there was enough tradition that Mom did say she enjoyed it. It's not possible for me to sing Silent Night by candlelight without crying, no matter how hard I try!

Finally, we were on our way to Pam and Vince's for the family's Christmas Eve party. This is the first year in maybe 50 years or more that my mom hasn't had Christmas Eve at her house. I think it was hard on her, but she was a pretty good sport about it. We enjoyed Pam's dinner of barbeque and mac n cheese, the yankee swap (I got Rachel's basket of hair and beauty products!), gifts for boys from Mike and Louise, watching Mikailah (at almost 3 years old) go right up to Santa with no fear, and even the late-night pretzel sub sandwich. My kids were not extremely gracious with the gift-opening. Jeremy was clearly disappointed that Zachary got a big magic kit, and Zachary was eying Jeremy's Harry Potter Lego set. Pretty quickly they made a deal to share both gifts. I was actually kind of proud of their problem-solving skills! We didn't leave until after midnight, and the kids weren't in bed until after 1 AM!

No comments: