Sunday, July 15, 2012

Minnesota Vacation Day 3

Because I’m sleeping on the porch, I woke up pretty early. It’s probably a good thing – I could sleep all morning if given the chance. Mom fixed egg sandwiches for breakfast. I had the kids read for a while so that I could unpack suitcases and hang up our clothes. Often, our days flow so that I work in the morning and we play in the afternoon. This morning, the work seemed to get done pretty quickly. Jeremy spent some of the morning working on a 3D puzzle of the US Capitol that he found in the closet. Thankfully, I convinced him to leave some of the pieces that were already together, because it is hard enough as it is.

The boys were anxious to start fishing. I sent them off to find worms. They only managed to find 2 – one with my help and one with Grandma’s assistance. I finally got their poles ready, and both of them fished off of the end of the dock for maybe a half hour. Nobody caught anything, so they quickly got bored of it and went out in the paddleboat instead. We went in for lunch, then they changed into their swimsuits. They stayed in the water a couple of hours, at least. They had heard me talking about Dave Fries gathering mussels and having them for dinner. They had started collecting some from the paddleboat with a net before lunch. Now they were in full swing, using their snorkeling gear to dive down and pick them up with their hands. They got 18 of them, and they are now sitting in the live box waiting for us to clean them and cook them up. Ugh. I’m not looking forward to that process! 

In other wildlife news, we saw a snapping turtle swimming near our dock in the afternoon, and I saw it again this evening.  That is not my favorite thing.

We came in from swimming to fix dinner. The boys read some more. Mom and I made pasta and tomatoes, swiss chard, and a ham steak. Zachary helped me do dishes tonight. He did a great job! Jeremy wanted to play cards, so Grandma taught him to play solitaire. The evening is calm and overcast, so Zachary and I went out on the paddleboat. We didn’t get quite to coop point before it started to rain, so we came back.

Zachary is currently planning meals and snacks for us from the Star Wars cookbooks. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us this week!

No comments: