Monday, August 2, 2010

Day Ten: Fish Tales

Today was action-packed. The first thing Jeremy did was check Goober's crate for a tooth fairy prize. He was thrilled to find a camouflage loofa toy. After breakfast and morning stuff, I finally took the kids fishing. We had to do it in shifts. First, Susie and I took Zachary and Emily. (And when I say Susie and I, I really mostly mean just "I," since Susie didn't touch a worm or fish!) They had a blast. We tried to find the sunken island, but I couldn't get Mike's fish finder to work. So, we went over to the weed beds not far from the cabin. Those kids caught fish so fast I couldn't keep up! While we were out fishing, I paid Allison and Jeremy each 25 cents a page for Jeremy to finish first grade worksheets. They finished 22!


We came in for lunch and then back out again with Jeremy and Allison. Emily tagged along to "watch." Zachary went to Ely with Mom. The second round of fishing was even more fruitful than the first. I could barely keep up. By the end of the day they had caught a grand total of 39 fish on 9 worms.

When we got back from fishing, we went swimming. The L's got out the paddle boat (towing E behind in the blow-up boat) and waverunner. Zachary conned me into giving him a ride on the waverunner by saying it was so that we could have some mother-son alone time. He liked going fast, but not over waves.

There was a fish-releasing ceremony at some point during the day - the 9 fish that made it to the live box were named and released one by one.

Mom made chicken and dumplings for dinner. My favorite!

Somehow, I had the bright idea that we should have a campfire, and suddenly we were out there building a fire and roasting giant marshmallows. We never really got the fire going good, but there were enough embers to do the job. We finally got the kids in and to bed.

No comments: